Friday, December 3, 2010

Post-Reading Questions due by 8:00 a.m. Dec. 2nd

We have now finished reading the novel Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick. Many of you have unanswered questions about the book. Go to the Rodman Philbrook website and check out his “Top Ten Questions” for Freak the Mighty. The address is http://www.rodmanphilbrick.com/topten.html After you have read the questions you can view other areas of the website.

Please respond to 2 of the 3 questions below:

1. What questions do you have about the novel? If you were able to speak with Mr. Philbrick, what would you ask him about the book/ characters?

2.Some of you might have preferred a different ending. If you were to rewrite the ending to Freak the Mighty, what would happen in your version?

3.If you were to write a sequel to the book, what would happen next in Max’s life?

Remember to write in complete sentences and proofread your writing before you submit your comments or questions to the blog. Be sure to use your first name only. Read and respond to each other’s comments. If you say that you like or agree with someone’s comment, tell that person why.

47 comments:

Corisande said...

1.
A.How did you come up with these characters.
B.What inspired you to write this story.
C.What message should this say to kids.

2.What would of happend in the end if I were writting it I would have Kevin get a new body so they could have even cooler adventures.

alex said...

3. If I could write a sequel to the book it would be about Max writing all his adventures like Freak told him to.
2. If I could re-write the ending of the book I would make Freak not die but get his robotic body put on his next birthday.

Maddie said...

1. I would ask Mr. Philbrick how he got inspired to write this book, and how he thought about Freak. I would also ask him if something similar happened to him or someone else.
2. If I could rewrite the ending of Freak the Mighty, I would have Freak almost die, but then get a new heart. Then, he would have some more disabilities but could also have fun with Max. And they would live happily ever after.

Gabriel said...

1. I would ask him why he made so many people get hurt. Also, why max’s dad was a bad person. Why the characters each had such different personalities. And why Kevin would have to die. And why was the bionic body be fake.
2. In my story Freak would not die. He would have a nice birthday. He then wants to get his robot body, and then has the operation(the operation is real, by the way). He would have problems with the operation, and will be sent to the intensive care unit. After a month, he is better. Max’s father then breaks out of prison and comes after Max. Grim saves his life, by using his gun ,which, he was allowed to buy. Max’s dad does not die, but passes out. He is sentenced to life time in prison, and doesn’t disturb Max again. They all live hapilly, with “Freak the Mighty” being a little bit taller.

alyssa said...

1. To me, how Kevin died wasn’t very clear. I would like to know exactly what disease Kevin had. Also, the book wasn’t clear about the robotic body. If I were to talk to Mr. Philbrick, I would ask him this: “If you were to make a sequel, how would Gwen go on with her life. I personally think that Gwen is just running away from her troubles, while she is somewhere else with her new boyfriend. Gwen should face her troubles.

3. If I were to write a sequel, I think Max would meet someone, and they would be the new “Freak the Mighty”. They would be unstoppable, just like Max and Kevin were.

Sophia said...

1. My question for Mr.Philbrick is WHY? Why did you make things in your novel this way? How did you think of these characters? Why did Kevin die? What would happen if he lived? 2. If I were to rewrite the ending of Freak the Mighty, I would have Kevin live. Although, I’m not sure if I would have had Kevin’s fantasy (about robot parts) be true of if not.

lance said...

2. If I could make my own ending to the book I would make it end by having Freak the Mighty get a get a job at a place that gives them different quests. After a while they make the world worry free of troubling situations because they go on there quests.
3. If I made a sequel to the book, I would make it have a part were they do many accomplishments and they live happily ever after.

mary said...

2. If I were to right a different ending for Freak the Mighty I have written that Freak lives to get a mechanical body and he the first person in history to successfully have one then Freak could live a normal life still with being friends with Max.
3. If I were to write a sequel to this book I would say that Grim and Gram die then Max becomes very sad and lonely for the rest of his life.

J.D. said...

2. I would have written that the bionic body was the truth and he would have lived. Then I would have had Kenny trick them again so there can be another book
3.i would have Killer Kane get out of prison and team up with Blade so they could be unstoppable and take Max and punish him for making him go back to prison.

marie said...

1. If I were to speak with the author of Freak the Mighty I would ask him a few things. First I would ask him if Freak the Mighty was based on a true story and if he had any personal connections to it. Next I would ask if any of the characters were inspired by people he knows. Lastly I would ask him did the book start as one simple idea and evolve into something totally different that actually became Freak the Mighty.
3. If I were to make a sequel to Freak the Mighty here would be some of my basic ideas:
• Max is still his same old self; giant, caring, and independent. (even without Freak)
• He finds a new friend who needs help
• This story also will tell a little more about Gwen and what happened to her- she would be in California married and happy
• Grim and Gram would love this new friend that Max has and supports Max
• As Max becomes older he gets more independent but also more kind to Grim and Gram
• This story will also teach a lesson about friendship and other traits just like Freak the Mighty
These are just some key ideas which a good skilled author could base off of and write a good story.

Faith said...

1. My questions for Mr. Philbrick are: Why did Killer Kane kill Max’s mom? Was Killer Kane a murderer before he married Max’s mom?
2. If I were to rewrite the ending Freak would have lived on and he would get the bionic body. They would continue their adventures and do harder things.

Marc said...

1. If I were to meet Mr. Phillbrick I would ask some questions. First question I would ask him is that could he relate to any of the characters. The second question I would ask him is that where did he get the idea of his story.
2. If I could rewrite the ending of Freak the Mighty I wouldn’t change anything except to make it way more long and dramatic. To show stronger emotion.

ben said...

1. I would ask him how did he come up with the diseases Freak and Max have. I would also ask him what inspired him to write the book. Finally I would ask him if he wrote the book about personal experiences.
2. If I had to rewrite the ending to the book I would make Kevin get the improved body and survives his disease. Also he teaches max to be really smart.

Tyler said...

1. I would ask Mr. Philbrick, What were your feelings when you wrote this book?
A. Does this book have anything to do with your life?
B. Would you write sequel to this book?
C. What did you think when you introduced Kevin?
D. How come Grim doesn’t talk a lot?

2. I like the ending because even though Kevin dies Max finds out that Kevin has really changed him and they had some really nice times together. I think I would make Kevin stay alive with a robot sort of body.

3. Max would find a new friend like Kevin. He would have a fantastic imagination. They would have some new adventures that they would go on together. He would tell him all about the times with Kevin. Then Max would really happy.

shoshi said...

1.These are some questions I would ask Mr. Philbrick about his book and characters :

Did kids call you names when you were a kid just like kids called Max names?
Did a friend or family member of yours have a disease like or equivalent to Freak’s?
Why do the characters have the names they do? Is there a reason?
As a kid did you demonstrate the qualities and/or personalities of Freak or Max?
Why did you create the Down Under?

2. If I could rewrite the ending of the book I would have Freak receive a heart transplant. I do think the ending was dramatic, but I would probably leave in his death. It seems to get people’s attention and if he lived, the book wouldn’t be as interesting because that’s what everyone reading it would have expected. When Freak dies, it gives you an opportunity to really feel for Max and wonder what you would do if you were in his shoes.

Julian said...

1. My questions to the author are:

A. Why did you write this book?

B. Did this story relate to your own life?

C. Have you ever lost a dear dear friend?

2.
A. My first ending would be, a doctor comes rushing in and right when Kevin is about to die the doctors would give Kevin the cure and he would not grow but his heart would start to shrink. Then they would perform an operation to get Kevin new metal bones and joints of steel.

B. My second ending would end like. Kevin would die and then Max would live out and keep Kevin's legend alive and spread it thought the next generation.

C. My last ending would be Kevin gets the surgery and becomes as big as Max and then Max and Kevin would live out their days as pals on quests.

Megan said...

1. I would ask Mr. Philbrick what inspired him to write the book, and why did he use those names for the characters. I would also ask him why he wrote this book, and how he thought of the main idea to the book.

2. If I could rewrite the ending to Freak the Mighty, I wouldn’t have Freak die, instead I would have an operation on Freak to cure his disease. Then Max wouldn’t be sad and together they would set off to a new adventure.

Orla said...

1. If I was able to speak with Mr. Phibrick, I would ask him many questions. First of all, what inspired him to write the novel? How did he come up with all of the characters? How long did it take to write this amazing book? Where did he go to write your book? What was the most exciting part of the book for him to write?
2. If I was able to rewrite the ending to Freak The Mighty, I would write that Max and Kevin find a way to help Kevin, and get him a new bionic body. They would then be heroes, because they would save many kids who had the same disease as Kevin. Also, I would put an unexpected surprise in the ending, such as that Tony D. was really Max’s long lost cousin.

Paige said...

1. -How did you decide kevin would be a midget and have a disease?
-Did anything in the book actually happen in your real life?
-If you had to change something in the book what would it be?
2. If I wrote a sequel Max would write about all the adventures he had with Freak like Freak said to do. Then, some other kid would move in close by him and they become friends, but it wouldn't be the same kind of friendship he and Kevin had.

Viraj said...

2. If I wrote a sequel to the novel I would have not made Freak die because if Freak did not die then I could write a sequel with new ideas in it. One of my ideas would be making Freak get his robot body.

3. If I was to write sequel I would make Max meet a new friend so his adventures would not be as boring. The new friend that he meets would not die, so the story would be exciting and have a happier

Michaela said...

1. I have a lot of questions for the book Freak the Mighty. One of them is “What happened to Max in the next few years after Freak dies?” Another one that I have to ask would be “How did you figure out what the story would be about?” If I was able to talk to the author than I would ask him how he cam up with all the characters
3. If there was a sequel to Freak the Mighty, then I think it should be about how Max gets a new friend. Also, throughout this sequel Max should be reminded about Freak’s death. Max and his new friend will run away from home because of sadness. In the middle they will change their mind, and try to find their way back home. On their way back they will develop many new friends and enemies throughout this treacherous journey.

Emily said...

1) One question that I have for the author is that what inspired him to write such a fascinating story like this one? One more question I have is that does this book have any connections to your life outside Novels?
2)/3) I personally would not have Kevin die so they could have a long lasting friendship. I also would let Max get 100% on all of his tests. Last I would have Max sharing the adventures that he and Kevin had. Then the book would be published and everyone would see the amazing story. People then would donate to help Kevin's disease.

Sammy said...

2.) In my rewriting of the end of Freak the Mighty I would have made Freak die by getting hit by car. Then Max goes over to Freaks house when Fair Gwen isn't there, and Dr.Spivak calls asking if Kevin is going to come in soon. Max then if its for his “ New Body,” the doctor has no idea what he is talking about, and tells him what happens. Max immediately goes insane and starts throwing plates at walls because its the only way he can express his anger.
3.) In the sequel Max would drop out of school and runs away from home. To express his anger he becomes a football player, professionally. His grandparents die, but on the bright side he meets a beautiful young maiden named Charlotte. Charlotte and Max have babies and Max live happily ever after.

andrewr said...

2. If I rewrote the ending to the book, I would have Freak live, not even go to the hospital, and have a completely happy birthday.
3. If I wrote a sequel, I would have Max meet another friend, or get a girlfriend, or, maybe, continue it years in the future.

Jada said...

2. If I was to re write the ending of this novel I would have changed only a few things. One thing that I would change is that Kevin wouldn’t die because then max would still be happier because he has a good friend. Another thing that I would change would be that Kevin would get his new and improved body! I would not change anything else.

3. If I could write a sequel to this novel I would write it in Max’s perspective and how he feels about everything. Also how writes about all the adventures that they did together as Freak the Mighty!

carson said...

1. I think if I could ask him some questions one would be that how he got the idea for the stories plot, adventures, and the end. Another question I would ask is how he came up with the characters names and attitudes.
3. If I were to write a squeal to the book Freak The Mighty I think I would have max meet a new friend and they would start out the same way as max and Kevin did. But in the end the new friend wouldn’t die. Another thing I would make happen is that max’s dad would escape again and try to get max.

nick said...

1. A. How did you think of the interesting characters in the book?
B. Why did you make Freak died?
C. Which character do you relate to the most?
D. In your editing was there a character that was taken out if so what was he like?
2. I would have freak not die but go in to a coma and have fake adventures in his coma. With Max and they were Freak the Mighty again.
The question two is like a combination of question 2 and 3.

logan said...

2. If I could change the ending of Freak the Mighty I would have Kevin almost die, and then they replace his heart, then soon after he will get his new bionic body. Max and Kevin would go on many more amazing quests.

3. If I were to write a sequel to the book, Max would get the book he wrote about Kevin and his’ adventures published. Also, Gwen will get married to her boyfriend in California.

summer h said...

1) If I interviewed the author, I would ask these questions:
- What inspired you to write this story?
- Why did you make Kevin have a disease?
- How come the children tease Max?
3) If I made a sequel to the story, it would be that Max is once again alone until he finds a new friend and haves new adventures.

Krish said...

2. In the ending the doctors should have found a way to rescue Freak and put him in a bionic body so he could be new and improved. That should have been the ending.

3. In the sequel together Max and Freak try to actually real quests instead of just imaginary ones. In the end they would try to defeat Killer Kane and save peoples lives.

William said...

1. There are many questions that I would want to ask Mr. Philbrick. One of the questions is if Mr. Philbrick knows anyone who had a similar problem as Freak and if he used that as his inspiration to write this book. I also wanted to know how he got the idea of the story and how he came up with the names of the characters in the story.

3. If I were going to write a sequel for Freak the Mighty, Max would now be an adult who has a kid with a similar problem as Freak’s. Max tries everything to help his son’s problem but knows that he can’t. Max knows that he is going to die soon and wants to make the last of his days the best. Max and his son go on an exciting vacation but the plane that they were on crashes on an unknown island. With little food and harsh weather, Max and his son finds a way to get back home.

matthew said...

2. I liked the ending it had greater meaning. I would not change it if I could.
3. I would have max really try hard in school in memory of his friend and max making his own ornithopter.

Ari said...

1. If I were able to speak with Mr. Philbrick, I would ask him what the moral of the story was and how he thought to give Freak the disease he did. I would also ask him why he made Killer Kane a killer.
2. In my version of Freak The Mighty, Freak would still die, but the story would be longer with Max sharing his journal with Grim and Gram and learning more about knights and robots for Freak. Max would also try harder in school.

Ari said...

1. If I were able to speak with Mr. Philbrick, I would ask him what the moral of the story was and how he thought to give Freak the disease he did. I would also ask him why he made Killer Kane a killer.
2. In my version of Freak The Mighty, Freak would still die, but the story would be longer with Max sharing his journal with Grim and Gram and learning more about knights and robots for Freak. Max would also try harder in school and read more books.

Henry said...

2.If I were to rewrite the ending to “Freak the Mighty” I would keep everything thing the same besides the ending when Max says how the book you are reading is the book he wrote when he was rewriting all the stories of Kevin and him.
3.If I were to write a sequel to this book I would have Max become an athlete. He would be a basketball player and runner.

tasia said...

2)If I was able to change the ending of the book I would probaly not make Kevin die and make it a happy ending. I would most likely make the end with and adventure because I like adventures an because death in book and everything is allways sad and I perfer to not have death in a good book.
1)If I could ask the author a few questions i would ask him:
- Why did you write a story about two kids who have disablilities?
- What disease did Kevin have and why didn't Kevin end up getting a robot body?

rochelle said...

2. If I were to rewrite the ending of Freak the Mighty, I would have Freak actually get a new body and then he and Max can go on more adventures together (but Freak will probably get too big for Max). Also, its Kevin’s birthday and he gets cake and stuff.

3. If I were to write a sequel to the book, I would have Max go to his mother’s burial and give her flowers and then Freak saw his dad somehow. Also, I would have Iggy and Loretta not be in a motorcycle gang and become nicer.

Wiley said...

2. I think the story will be better if they do turn Freak into a robot. He could fly and shoot things with his crutches. Then Freak and Max could go to Mars and shoot Martians.
3. If I could write a sequel it would be when Max meets another guy. The only difference will be that the boy will not have any diseases.

atherton said...

1. One question I have is what happened to Max after the book ended? I would ask him why he wanted freak to die in the book.
2. If I were to rewrite the ending of the book, I would have let freak live and have the dad come back and teach freak how to do magic.
3. In the sequel Max would find a new friend so that he can be Freak The Mighty again, but this time he wants to be a positive influence in his friend’s life. Max has decided to be good and fight evil, turning over a new leaf and making a new start in life.

Deke F said...

1. The one question I have about this story is what caused Killer Kane to kill his wife? If I could speak with Mr. Philbrick, I would ask him where he got the idea for each character and were they based on anyone he knew?
2. If I was able to rewrite the ending to "Freak the Mighty", I would make Killer Kane an innocent man proven guilty who finally gets out of jail. Upon his release, he gently rebuilds a relationship with Max which leads to meeting Kevin and Fair Gwen. Eventually he would fall in love with Gwen, marry her, and they could all become a family. They would also find some sort of cure for Kevin so that he does not have to die.

kristine said...

Questions I have about the novel are:
Why did they pick out extremely unique characters?
How did he come up with this book?
I were able to speak with Mr. Philbrick, what I would ask him about the characters are:
How did you come up with these characters?
Why do they have to be so unique and different?

If I were to write a sequel to the book, Max would meet a new guy that would move into Kevin’s house. He would be like Kevin, having the same problem. They would again be Freak the Mighty.

Lauren said...

1. How did you think of this story? Do the characters mean something in the author's life? How did the author think of these crazy characters?

2. In the end of my version of Freak the Mighty would be Kevin did get a new body, Max gets a crazy imagination as well as Kevin, and go on awesome better than ever adventures again.

Michael said...

2. If I were to rewrite an ending to Freak the Mighty I would have first of all given Max’s dad, Killer Kane, a life sentence. I would also have the bionics operation real, but have the operation fail. To me that would make it less sad because in the actual novel the last thing Freak told Max was a lie.
3. If I were to make a sequel to the book I would make max become a successful student in writing and all other subject s. I would then make him start to raise a fund for research of the disease Freak had. He would then get on the news and his campaign would become national. In the end he would meet another boy who reminded him of Freak and this would inspire him to work even harder.

elliot said...

1. I would ask Mr.Philbrick why he chose a huge dumb kid and a kid with a growing disorder. Also, why did Kevin have to die? It added a good twist but it would be cool if you talked about Kevin actually getting a body.
2. I liked the ending because it had an extremely great twist but it was also really sad.
3. In the next novel, I want Max to meet a new friend and also have crazy adventures. I also want Max to become smarter and more popular because it is really sad that he gets picked on at school.

JR said...

1. Were your characters based on real people? Why did you turn your book into a play?My last question is, why did you make “Freak” (Kevin) handicapped.
2. If I could write a new ending to the book Kevin would not die and he would get his bionic body would not make him a liar and while he was testing out his new body Max would be writing down all of the adventures that they had when they were “Freak The Mighty”.

alyssa said...

1. If I could ask the author of the book any question, I would ask Mr.Philbrick this question: How did Kevin actually die? In the book, Dr. Spivak said, “Kevin, look at me!” which wasn’t very clear. I wonder how Gwen coped with Kevin not being around. A life with a child being dead must be very difficult for any mother. I feel that Gwen is just running away from her troubles and is not going back to her life without Kevin. However, I know that Gwen is very happy with her new boyfriend and being in a different place. I think that Gwen is trying very hard to forget about her beloved son’s death.

3. If I were to write a sequel, I think Max should meet a new person who has a disorder, and share a special, friendly relationship with one another. I also think Gwen should come back to where her son died, and talk to Max about it. Max would help her cope with her son being gone.

aaron said...

1 One question I have is that what happened to the doctor?
2 If I did the book I would have made max die to. And freak only be in a coma and then when max dies freak is super sad. In my opinion that would have been better.